Monday, August 16, 2010

My Voice - Trust: My Rock to Climb


Last Friday, Annie and I took a date day. It was our last opportunity before I have surgery tomorrow and start two to three weeks of silence and Annie has surgery on Friday and will be on crutches for the next two or three weeks. I asked Annie what she wanted to do and she said, "rock climb! One last time before my hip gets fixed." We went to Grizzly Dome on the Feather River and climbed a 100 foot slab. We had a great time.

One of our favorite things about climbing is that Annie and I do it together and have to trust each other. Annie belays me (she is my protection) and I belay her. We set up the gear, check it for each other. While climbing you have to trust the gear and your belayer. We also love the challenge of climbing. It is a rush to get to the top after the struggle both physically and mentally. There is an ad that says, "we climb not because it is easy, but because it is hard."

Right now, I have a "rock" to climb. I need to trust God in the midst of the craziness of life. Three surgeries in four weeks, no voice for over six weeks, the financial strain, the relational strains have all been very challenging. But God is my protection. He is the rope and harness that holds me safe. He is the belayer who protects against my fall. I cannot give up, but follow and trust God in the midst of the challenge. We don't often do the right things, think the right thoughts, make the right decisions because they are easy, but because they are right, and often hard. So as I face one of the crazier weeks of my families life, the "rock" in front of me to climb is the question of trust: Will I trust God to protect and get me through and keep me safe in the face of this challenge? I choose to climb this rock and trust God to protect me.

No comments:

Post a Comment