Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My Voice - I Love My Family

This morning, I was up early as my throat and ears hurt after yesterday's surgery. I was also excited to hear the paper come at 4:30 am and hurriedly found Annie's first food column in the Chico Enterprise-Record. Check it out at: http://www.chicoer.com/lifestyle/ci_15811276.

As I sat up reading this morning, I was just overwhelmed by the graciousness of God to allow me to be part of such an amazing family. Annie is a great, talented wife and mother and passionate follower of Jesus. My three kids are so unique, talented, confident and love God. I am part of many generations of people who have been committed to Jesus and am so thankful for parents who instilled those values in my life. Brothers and sisters who have modeled Jesus for me. I truly love the family God has given me. God's grace comes as large undeserved gifts and I am thankful for God's grace towards my family.

As I thought of family, I was moved to think about my Orchard family. I feel like a brother, father, uncle, friend to so many people in Chico through the gracious gift of Orchard Church. God has surrounded me with family who are passionately allowing Jesus to transform their lives. Brothers and sisters who encourage and support me as I follow Jesus. Young believers that God has allowed me to be a spiritual "father" to inspire me with their growth, perseverance and ability to overcome the obstacles of life. I grow by watching the strength their faith in Jesus gives. Sometimes, these young, eager followers of Jesus feel just like my kids. I hurt with and for them, celebrate with them, give discipline and encouragement. I learn from this family and am honored to be part of their number. I love them. Reading Acts 2:42-47, I am reminded today of how much I enjoy sharing life with "my family" and am devoted to them as we all grow to be more like Jesus. God has surrounded me with a natural and spiritual family that encourages me, motivates me and moves me closer to Jesus. God's gracious gift of spiritual family is truly undeserved and I thankfully accept that gift today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment