Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Voice - Greatness

What defines greatness? Muhammad Ali self-proclaimed, "I am the greatest!" Michael Jordan and Joe Montana are considered "the greatest" in their respective sports. Why? Because they won a lot more than they lost and led those winning teams with their talent and personality. The Beatles were once called, "the greatest musical act that will ever grace a stage." Winning, success and popularity seem to define greatness in modern culture.

Yesterday, I read Psalm 104 that talks about the "greatness" of God. It says, "Oh Lord, My God, how Great You are. You are robed with honor and majesty. You are dressed in a robe of light and you stretch out a curtain of the starry skies....You placed the earth on its foundations so it would never be moved." The Psalmist continues for 35 verses describing the creative "greatness" of God. 1 Chronicles 29 says, "Yours, O Lord, is the greatness, the power, the glory, the victory and the majesty. Everything in heaven and earth is yours...." King David proclaims that there is a "Royal Greatness" to God that diminishes all other leaders in comparison. Psalm 79 says, "Your people will praise your greatness from generation to generation to generation." The greatness of God is not temporary, but eternal and unchanging.

So what? Well, for a lot of my life, I have tried to be great. I have wanted to be able to say, " I am the greatest." I have wanted to play the role of Michael Jordan in every situation. But recently, I've been learning that God is great and my role in life is to proclaim the "He is the greatest and He lets me play on His team." God is the Creator, the Eternal King, The Answer. I get to play the role of Harris Barton (an offensive lineman for the 49ers), who said, "Joe Montana is cool... He is the greatest. I do my part, so Joe can be great." Well, God is the Greatest and I want to do my part, so others see that God is Great!

So, today, I am spending the next 15 minutes being reminded of "How Great our is our God". You should join me and celebrate the greatness of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment